The problem of stowaways is not new but the scope of the current problem
Stowaways are part of the illegal immigrants problem facing the western
The costs and trouble in dealing with stowaways are almost always the
responsibility of the vessels owner/operator.
The growing problem is due to several factors as summed up below:
- The local population is very poor and wants to immigrate to richer
- The harbors are not well guarded and it is relatively easy to hide
in the waiting cargo.
- The local authorities have no interest in preventing those actions.
- Further, the threat of terrorist stowaways makes the problem even
- Vessels are not taking serious preventive measures to reduce the
Many actions can be taken to prevent stowaways from entering vessels
Our experience and investigations are bound to reduce those risks.
We can help in the following ways:
- Analyze your vessel's "soft spots".
- Recommend and install methods for passive and active prevention.
- Train crew in active prevention.